Type to search

What Are The Documents Needed To Buy or Sell Used Car?

Your Opinion

3 Min Read

Imagine this – you bought a new car. You are very happy with the deal. You are delighted that you will not have to search for a car mechanic near me, because the car is in good condition. Just when everything is fine, the police knocks on your door and you get to know – the car was stolen from a neighbouring state, a few months ago and now, you are the owner of a stolen property.

That might have seemed like a piece of fiction, but several used car buyers have been through the pain. You might have to bear expenses that are much higher than getting a car wash done for an entire year, if you don’t undergo the ownership transfer thoroughly.

Now, majority of the people don’t undergo the ownership transfer process simply because of the arduous paperwork required. This is why we are here.

Documents Needed To Buy or Sell Used Car

Registration Certificate:

This is a certificate the owner must’ve obtained while actually buying the car. The certificate is issued by the RTO under which the car is registered. This certificate would carry a few details about the car and indicate the ownership of the car.

Pollution Under Control Certificate:

This certificate ensures that a car is under the permissible pollution limits as prescribed by the government. Initially, the certificate is issued when the car is bought and is valid for a year. Post that, the car has to be retested to ensure it still complies with the pollution limits. If the car was manufactured before April 2010, the PUC will have to be renewed every three months.

READ  Top Resources That Came Handy While Selling a Car

If you are buying a used car, make sure the seller is providing you with a set of all the PUC she has renewed along with the PUC that was initially provided to the car for a year. If you are a seller – you can get your PUC at the RTO office concerned with your city.

 Insurance Papers:

Having a car insurance is imperative since it is mandatory in India. This set of papers will further ensure that the car was owned by a certain individual, who also paid a certain amount of premiums for the insurance. Hence, your insurance papers are important even if you never make a claim for car repair; so, keep them safe.

 Form 29 & 30:

Both these forms have to be attached necessarily, when transferrin the ownership of a used car. These forms have to be submitted along with the documents mentioned in Form I. Form 29 and Form 30 are available on the Vahan website.

 No Objection Certificate:

The NOC signifies that any parties, financing or governmental, have no objection in the ownership transfer of the vehicle. Like other documents mentioned here, it is mandatory to be included while transferring ownership of a used car. You can use Form 28 to get the NOC from the respective bodies.

Form 28 is also mandatory in the paperwork entailing ownership transfer, if the buyer and the seller are from two different states in India.

Address Proof:

The address proof of both the buyer and the seller have to be included in this process. In order to provide a proof of residence, you can use any of the government authorized identification cards – Adhar Card, PAN Card, Passport, Electricity Bills, etc.

READ  5 Documents Needed When Sell Your Used Car

Sales Agreement:

This is a legally binding document that puts the entire transaction under a legal framework, clearly communicating the buyer, the seller, the payment and the payment mode.

 Clearance Certificate:

Finally, this is the document you would be willing to obtain as a seller, from your local RTO. This is the certificate that ensures the ownership transferred has been acknowledged and approved by the respective authorities.

Also, once the documentation process is over, make sure you are checking in consistently to see that the ownership transfer has been completed by the RTO. The Clearance Certificate will assure you of that, but irrespective of you being a buyer or a seller, you can know about the ownership transfer status before the certificate is issued. Here are a couple of handy ways to do it:

1. Vahan.nic.in: You can use this link to verify the ownership status of the vehicle.

2. SMS: You can also send ‘vahan’<space> ‘vehicle registration number’ and send it to 7738299899. For example – vahan ABCD12345.

In addition to these documents and verifications, it is highly recommended that you consult your local RTO to get data on what documents you will need in particular to get a successful ownership transfer.

Here are a few links to some of the most used RTO websites in India. Depending on your geographic location, you can start with these websites for ownership transfer as well as documentation information:

Region Website
Delhi Link
Mumbai Link
Bangalore Link
Chennai Link
Kolkata Link
Pune Link*
Ahmedabad Link
Hyderabad Link
*Local website unavailable.

When searching for RTO websites pertaining to your region, visit only the websites that end in ‘.gov.in’. These are authentic government websites and will provide you accurate information. Happy Buying!!

Leave a Comment

check modal

Post Comment


Your comment is awaiting for moderation