3 Min Read
As a germophobe, I have managed to keep my house clean by frequently ordering home cleaning services. It helps in ensuring there are no areas in my house that become the nurturing ground for pests or insects. Before I started doing this, one of the biggest challenges I faced was to keep my fridge clean and odour-free.
I do use kitchen cleaning services periodically that includes cleaning of the fridge as well. However, combating the foul odour from the food is an entirely different ball game. It is a problem that needs to be taken seriously as it impacts the quality of food you store in the fridge as well as your health. Moreover, I will never be in the mood to spend thousands of rupees on fridge repair.
I use several tips that I have accumulated by talking to fridge salesman, repair & servicing executives, as well as cleaning experts to ensure that my fridge always feels and smells fresh. Here are a few of them:
Do You Have Appliances Insurance?
Haven’t Bought Yet? Get One
Tips To Keep The Fridge Fresh At All Times
- Maintaining optimal cooling temperature is necessary. I have a fridge with multiple compartments and they have their individual temperature settings. I have noticed over a period that the cooling in different compartments is related. Thus, I always make sure that these compartments have temperature settings that are optimal for the organic food stored in it. If the food is stored in temperature higher than it should be, it would rot and give out a foul smell.
- Clean your fridge regularly or get prepared to pay a hefty amount for fridge repair. Raw as well as processed foods come with an expiry date. I make it a point to remove any food that is stale or on the verge of it. I empty my fridge once a month and clean with a semi-wet cloth to ensure dirt, food crumbs and spoiled food are removed. If allowed to remain for extended periods they will produce a bad odour.
- I use baking soda to eliminate bad odour in my fridge. The technique is simple. All that needs to be done is this – put some baking soda in a piece of cloth and keep in the fridge for a few hours. It will soak up the bad odour and keep your fridge smelling fresh.
- Vinegar is also a powerful odor-absorbing agent. I use a cloth dipped in a mixture containing vinegar and water in equal proportions to wipe the interiors of my fridge. It would keep your fridge smelling fresh and prevent.
- One of my friends also mentioned about how she uses lemon to keep her fridge clean and odor-free. To my surprise, it worked wonders when I kept slices of a couple of lemons inside the refrigerator for a few hours. At times, I also use a cloth dipped in the solution of water and lemon juice to clean my fridge. As lemon is blessed with high acidic properties, it helps in maintaining the pH balance inside the fridge.
- As surprising as it may sound, Oatmeal has helped me keep my fridge smelling fresh. Yes, it is a powerful hack that not many people know about. I keep a bowl of oatmeal uncovered in the refrigerator and replace it weekly. I have noticed that even when there are stale food remains in my fridge, there is no foul smell emitted.
- When my fridge smelled like rotten tomatoes and I wondered what would work effectively and quickly, essential oils came to my rescue. Keep the cotton balls dipped in any essential oils at your disposable in corners of your fridge. Let the cotton balls stay there for a day and see the magic happen. Make sure to not open the refrigerator door too often during this period.
- If you are doing your annual fridge cleaning, using a bowl of charcoal to get rid of foul odor. I just keep the bowl of charcoal in my refrigerator for a couple of days when not in use.
The tips mentioned above are tried and tested and I can tell from my personal experience that they work. Some may work more for you than others but it’s all about finding out what works best for you. My friends who have tried these tricks can’t thank me enough. For many, many of these tips to keep the fridge fresh have become a part of my daily kitchen cleaning routine. Use these tricks and keep your fridge clean and smelling fresh all the time.